EV Code Signing Vs Regular Code Signing Certificate
What you need to know about Code Signing Certificates?
Code signing certificates are a way to sign digitally in apps, drivers and software programs and are mostly used by software developers. Code signing certificates contain the company name and signature of the company owner. Code Signing assures customers that their files haven't been hacked.
What is EV Code Signing Certificate?
Extended Validation or EV Code Signing certificate is used by software developers and publishers so that they can secure their software, contents, scripts and unwanted malware attacks. This enables the users to have much more confidence in the honesty of applications.
EV Code Signing Certificate is suitable for device drivers, executable programs and applications.
What is Regular Code Signing Certificate?
Regular Code Signing Certificate is always issued after assessing by the publisher. In case of a regular code signing certificate, the private key is stored in the developer's workstation.
EV code signing vs regular code signing: the difference
There are 2 major basis of this difference: Intensive Vetting and Two-factor authentication. Under these,
- EV code signing contains extensive vetting whereas regular code signing contains standard vetting.
- Private key is stored externally in the hardware in case of EV code signing. On the other hand, private key is stored locally.
- It may take 1-5 days to issue EV code signing certificate while it may take 1-3 days to issue the regular code signing certificate.
- EV code signing certificate builds Microsoft Smart screen filter at an instant. But it takes time to build the Microsoft Smart screen filter depending upon certain factors in case of Regular code signing certificate.
EV code signing vs standard code signing : benefits
Following are the benefits of EV certificates.
- Time sensitive- EV certificate signature stays even after the original certificate expires when the certificate is added a timestamp.
- Trustable: just to make sure whether the downloaded software hasn't been modified by a third party, EV code signing certificate ensures the trust of users by elimination of warnings in which there might be a flash of warning on screen whether the software's trustworthy.
- Safe: the private keys need not be kept on your network which makes it more secure. It stops any kind of unauthorised abuse.
Following are the benefits of regular code signing.
- Easy to use: regular code signing certificates are easy to use for developers who use software for creating products.
- Authenticity: to maintain privacy and business reputation, regular or standard code certificates are helpful.
- Protection: it protects private key from theft through hardware token and PIN.
Supported platforms under code signing certificates:
- Microsoft Authenticode
- Microsoft Office and Microsoft CHA
- Microsoft Kernel-Mode Code Signing
- Adobe AIR
- Mozilla Objects
EV code signing vs regular code signing: which one's better?
In comparison with regular code signing, EV code signing is best because it will make sure that the certificate can be trusted. Company reputation establishment becomes easier with EV certificates.